Thursday, November 3, 2011

WOW...Fantasy intertwines with real life

World of Warcraft...yes the online game, (Yes I'm in my mid 40s, yes I play WOW) has become an interesting part of my life. I've been playing for 3 plus years now. Here's the interesting thing: I play, my girlfriend plays, my grown up nephew plays(he got us into this, it's his fault LOL)...so does my brother in law, my two older sisters and a few co-workers and friends. Now before you get all judgemental, here's the insight I'm looking to convey. The game keeps us all in touch! Seriously! My GF is sitting right next to me most of the time (she's actually a better player than me now!), but the rest of my family and friends are spread out over multiple states and one "guildie" (gamespeak for team member) is in the military which takes people all over the world.

We have voice chat and talk about the game of course, but through voice chat and text we talk about other things as well. We work as a team to complete objectives and even share in game skills and in game money sometimes. It makes me feel closer to my family and friends when they are far away. It's really cute when my sis calls me on my phone and asks if we are going to be on WOW tonight, so they can join us for some quest, dungeon etc. Some people SKYPE my family plays WOW. Now if I could get my Lil' Brother on WOW at some point that would be pretty cool. I miss him a lot...

One final thought, WOW and online gaming does take up a few hours of my time three to five days a week, but I also run 3 miles 3 times a week and ride 2-3,000 miles a year on my road bicycle (an activity which my awesome GF shares). I also raise hens in my two coups in our backyard for eggs. So I'm not a total couch potato! WOW just happens to be my virtual world to connect with family and friends. Besides where else can you kill the level 85 dungeon boss with help from your entire family. I Love You All! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment