Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Don't Let Your Freedoms Be Eroded


Well, it's been a while since I posted here.  It's not that I haven't had anything to say, but more how and if I wanted to say it. I decided to share my thoughts on a few things.

A new year has rolled in, but not without some tragedy at the end of 2012. Sandy Hook in my home state of Connecticut made national and international headlines as a mass shooting. The loss of life was very sad indeed. It created an opportunity for certain political groups to once again attack the U.S. Constitution and more specifically the rights of U.S. Citizens.

I posted on FB recently that I'm not an registered republican or a registered democrat, I'm an American. I fought and sacrificed for this country as a U.S. Marine in combat and to preserve the very freedoms that the Constitution stands for.

Surprisingly, I'm fairly liberal on many of my views. I'm Pro-Choice, I believe in a woman's right to choose.  I support Gay-Rights and equal rights for all Americans regardless of their race or sexual orientation. I also believe that there are many legimate situations were people need long-term and short term assistance with their lives.

On the other side, I don't believe that just becasue you manage to get into the U.S. illegally, that you are entitled to citizenship. Even if you are an otherwise good person. You aren't entitled to a job, free health care, exemption from taxes etc. Sorry, but I couldn't jump off a cargo ship onto a dock in Japan, and expect to be welcomed with open arms, a job, food, medical care and a drivers license, all while paying no taxes or fees that the rest of the Japanese citizens pay. If you don't see something wrong with our immigration laws in the U.S. ....well... you're too far gone to help.

Finally, let me talk about the subject I feel most passionate about. The Constitution and more specifically my 2nd Amendment Right to Keep and Bear Arms. "I Love My Country", there are other great nations in the world, but this one is mine. Please don't insult my intelligence by telling me that guns are bad and more laws will make us safer.

Simply put laws are in place as a guide to what is right and wrong. Laws do not, nor have they ever stopped crime from being committed. That is why people who break the laws are called criminals. Laws are a means of punishment and can be helpful as a deterent if they are properly enforced. They do not keep anyone safe from people intending to do others harm.

Please note that the 2nd Amendment to the constitution is not in place to protect the rights of hunters, it is in place to enable every American to protect themsleves and the nation against Tyranny and Oppression, both Foreign AND Domestic. That right "Shall Not Be Infringed" If you don't fully understand what the word infringed means, look it up.

Forgive me if I don't believe that any law passed by politicians will make us safer. Don't tell me that gun free zones are "Safe" and OK, while you are safe behind the security of armed guards, capitol police and high-tech security systems. Don't lie to us when you attempt to convince us that guns that look scary need to be banned to make our society safer from bad people, or that 10 rounds or 7 rounds in a magazine is "Safe" but 11, 15, 20 or 30 is "Bad" and means your a heartless person who doesn't care about children or crime. I'll decide how best to defend myself and my loved ones.

If our government really  wanted to make a difference, they would address the mental health issues that run rampant in our nation. Enforce the laws that we already have, stiffen the penalties for violent crimes and give our children the armed protection in schools that elitists enjoy every day. If you fear guns or are uneducated about them, my advice is that you go to a professional and take a lesson, learn everything you can about firearms and self defense, you'll be better equipped to decide what's right for you. Otherwise, don't speak about something you know nothing about. You have a right to not hold yourself responsible for your own safety. You have a right not to own a gun, you don't  however, have a right to take that right away from me.

If you're an American and you don't believe the 2nd Amendment (and The Constitution as a whole) needs to be protected.... wait until they start eroding your 1st Amendment Rights. Maybe then you'll feel differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment